Friday, August 22, 2008

Baby Update!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


On Friday, I went to the Dr. on a "emergency" appointment. I had this suspicious something wasn't normal... I felt like I was suddenly incontinent. After some tests, they confirmed my water (amniotic fluid) was leaking and stuck me on an airplane to Billings to get immediate care since I was much too early for the Doctors and medical team in Bozeman. And so.... I've been here in lovely, lovely Billings since Friday night.

They did do an ultrasound in Bozeman to make sure my cervix was still long and close... which it was. But to take no chances they shipped me off as quick as they could.

NEVER in my life have I had an IV and I HATE HATE needles... so that was an adventure. They tried to get a port into my arm in Bozeman, couldn't get it in, so they stuck the IV in my hand. In the ambulance the IV infiltrated ( needled popped thru the vein and liquid was not going into a vein anymore ) and a paramedic had to stick my OTHER arm. HE was able to get it in... without the numbing this time. YOUCH! They gave me some hefty drug on the way over to the airport. OH and in Bozeman, they had to take 4 vials of blood. Eep. AND OH!!! They ALSO gave me a catheter (awful, awful awful) and a steriod shot in my lovely hind end!

This steriod is to help Liam's lungs develop. They put me on Magnesium immediately to stop any possible contractions so that they could get 2 steriod shots in within 48 hours. Magnesium is just awful stuff.

Friday night was a BLUR. They had me on so many drugs, thank God, my mom was able to come with me!! And even better... thank heaven my sister Emily was able to go to the Dr. with me ... she helped me handle all the news and the flurry of medical peoples. :)

So I was on Magnesium until Monday morning and then they took me off- yay!! They also gave me antibiotics via IV. The antibiotics are to prevent any infection since I'm ruptured. Infection will put Liam at risk. They were able to take me completely OFF the IV and take out my port on Monday afternoon. Then I started to take the antibiotics by mouth.

Everyday they hook me up to a monitor for an hour every AM and PM. This monitor "monitors" the baby's heartbeat and his response to contractions. Yesterday, they were a concerned that Liam's heartbeat did not have a lot of variation to it (they like to see a little up and down). SO.... they stuck my arm AGAIN and hooked me back up to the IV to pump me with fluids to see if that didn't perk him up. IT did! I was able to get off the IV this morning...although the port is still in. I try not to look at it... I'm such a squeemish baby. They also took my blood AGAIN (they took it Tuesday) to run tests on it. Here they were sticking in the port and taking blood and I was already nauseated, so that just sent me over the edge. Bugger.

They also did another ultrasound on Monday to see how much amniotic fluid I still had-- A LOT!!! Thank God. The Dr. says we will do another probably tomorrow. The tech gave me pictures of Liam when she was done-- I swear his little profile looks just like his daddy! He's so stinkin cute! I get so tickled looking at his little pictures.

Anyhow, they have me on bedrest in the hospital in Billings until Liam is born. I am praying that I can keep him "cooking" longer. They say 1 day in the womb is 2-3 days less in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The Dr. told me yesterday that they will induce me at 34 weeks though... the risk of infection gets too great for Liam if we get too greedy and try to keep him in. I will be 31 weeks on Saturday- so three more weeks. I'm terrified of giving birth, but considering all the other "awful" things they;ve done to me in the past 5 days- I can do birth!!!

Nothing about bedrest is REST. But I just have to remind myself this is for Liam and that makes it worth it! The nurses have been sweet and such a blessing. I'm eating as much as I can so Liam can have some more weight on him- room service knows me well.

Liam will have to stay in the NICU for a while after he is born. Since he will be pre-term, they will need to make sure he can breathe and eat on his own, as well as gain weight before they let him go home. Breathing and eating are difficult for babies... and all the more difficult for preemies. Matt & I visited the NICU yesterday and it's a very nice place and the Doctors and nurses there are extremely kind. They have a Ronald McDonald house across the street that we can stay in since Liam will have to stay here a bit. I am praying that he won't have to stay long. It will be difficult to not be able to bring him home!

It's funny... I've been praying since I was pregnant that God would prepare me to be the mother and Matt, the father, he wanted us to be for Liam. I never imagined we would have to go through this of course... but I am amazed at how God answers prayers sometimes. This definately has and will continue to bring Matthew and I together. Not to mention, I have had to be more brave than ever before and patient!! What a challenge I have been given. I am glad I have been able to see it as a good challenge though... I know it will continue to be (I'm already ready to jump out the window!) but I feel as though this is what I needed... and Matt to be the parents God wants us to be. It has really been an eye opener for Matt - to be closer and more attentive to me... I know that was difficult for him to do sometimes since he had been a bachelor for so long!! I know this experience will REALLY change Matt and make him grow... especially after he holds our little man.

We'd love your thoughts and most importantly prayers... for both of us parents and for baby Liam.

Pray that baby Liam will be strong and healthy when he is born and that he stays in longer!!

Pray that I would have courage and patience. Bedrest is extremely difficult for me. I'm a "both ends candle burner!!!"

Pray that that God would continue to use this experience to grow Matt and I.

Will keep you updated when I have any more news.

Thank God, it's all status quo for now !

2 comments:

Aeperel Feusi said...

omg...we will be praying! At least you get to see your little guy at the end of it all! Bedrest in the hospital for 2 more weeks!!! boo...their food sucks!!!

Katie said...

Awe. I know I'm a bit late in reading this, but I hope you know how much I love you!! Nate sends his prayers your way as well!